- Wash the rice and Urad dal and soak well separately for 3 to 4 hours
- Grind the rice and the urad dal into a fine consistency. The batter should be a slightly more watery than the vada batter. Add required amount of salt
- Heat up 2 teaspoons of oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add onions, 2 green chillis(not included in the table), curry leaves. Add the shredded coconut and saute it. Switch off the flame
- Pour this mixture into the ground batter, and mix it well
- Heat up the oil in a pan. Make small balls out of the batter and place it in the hot oil(the oil should not be fuming hot).
- Flip the seeyam in order to cook the other side
- Once the bubbles around the seeyam settle down, take it out and place it in a paper towel in order to absorb excess oil The Chettinad Special Masala Seeyam is ready to be enjoyed