1) Heat up a teaspoon of oil and roast the red chili, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, channa dal and sesame seeds. When they turn into a golden color switch off the flame. Let it cool and powder it in a blender
2) Wash the ivy gourd and cut it into small round pieces.
3) Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the mustard and urad dal seeds. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and the ivy gourd
4) Saute the ivy gourd for 2 minutes and add the ground masala powder, turmeric powder,and required amount of salt.
6) When the masala sticks to the ivy gourd, switch off the flame
7) You can use this ivy gourd masala as a side dish for sambar rice, rasam rice, and curd rice
8) Mix this ivy gourd masala with two cups of rice and add a teaspoon of ghee (optional)
Now the Ivy gourd / Kovakkai masala Rice is ready to serve