1) Wash the rice thoroughly and soak it for 10 minutes. ( you can also use Basmathi rice. If you use basmathi rice you have to soak it for 30 minutes)
2) Cut the onion lengthwise, chop the tomatoes and wash the mint and the coriander leaves twice
3) Keep the pressure cooker on the stove and add the oil. ( you can add 1 teaspoon of ghee to improve the aroma). When the oil is hot, add the fennel seeds and a few mint leaves
4) When the fennel seeds turn into golden brown color, add the onion and let it change into golden brown color. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute it until it loses its raw flavor
5) Add the tomatoes and a little bit of salt and saute it for 2 minutes. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute it well till the tomatoes cook well. Add the mint and coriander leaves and cook it for a minute
6) When the tomatoes are completely mashed up, add the garam masala powder. Drain the water from the rice and add it to the gravy. Saute the rice for 2 minutes.
7) Add 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of water and required amount of salt and mix it well. Keep in mind, whenever you cook biryani type rice varieties be sure that the water should be little bit salty. Because the rice will absorb some salt.
8) Close the lid and put the weight. Leave it for 1 whistle and immediately slow the flame to low. Keep it in slow flame for ten minutes and switch off the stove. When the pressure is completely out, take out the weight and open the lid. Mix the rice top to bottom thoroughly
9) Serve this Tomato rice with raitha and potato chips
NOTE : If you use the Basmathi rice, add 3/4 cup of coconut milk and 3/4 cup of water.