1) Clean the methi leaves and wash it. Cut the onion into small pieces.
2) Wash the toor dal and split moong dal together till the water runs clear. Preasure cook the dal with turmeric powder and cumin seed. Leave the cooker for 3 whistles.
3) After the pressure completely settles down, open the cooker. Now add some water to the dal and mix it well. Now take the dal water on top and keep the thick cooked dal separately.
4) Keep the dal water on the stove and let it boil. When it boils add the methi leaves, tomato, and the coriander powder. Let the methi cook nice and soft
5) Heat up some oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and urad dal. When the urad dal turns into a slight golden color, add red chili and onion
6) When the onion turns golden brown add the methi mixture. Cook it for a minute. Now add the cooked dal and mix it well. Cook it for another one minute. Now its time to add the salt and mix it well. Switch off the flame.
This Methi dal gravy goes well with white rice, rotti and karakuzhambu