1) Wash the Channa dal and put it in a pressure cooker along with one cup of water. Add turmeric powder, garlic, cumin seeds and pressure cook it for 2 to 3 whistles ( some channa dal will cook in 2 whistles and some will take 3 whistles. It depends upon the quality of the Dal)
2) Clean the Spinach, Wash it, and cut it. ( Usually I use Baby Spinach , so I don’t cut it). Cut the onion into small pieces
3) Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the mustard & urad dal seeds. After it crackles, add red chili and the onion. Saute the onion slightly and add the dal water.
4) When the Dal water comes to a boil, add the Spinach and cover the lid. Let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
5) Spinach won’t take more time to cook. So after 15 minutes, add the cooked Channa Dal .
6) Let it cook it for 5 minutes. Now it’s the time to add salt. Stir it well and switch off the stove.
NOTE : Whenever you cook the greens you should not add the salt earlier. If you add like that it will ruin the taste of the dish. So keep it in mind, whenever you cook the greens, add the salt before you switch off the stove