1)Wash the Toor Dal twice or thrice. Add 2 cups of water, turmeric powder and a teaspoon of sesame oil (which helps the dal cook uniformly) and cook it for 3 whistles in a pressure cooker
2) Cut the drumstick into finger length size pieces. Slit the egg plant(brinjal) into 4 sections and put it in a bowl of water to avoid the oxidation of the egg plant. Dice the tomato,Peel the skin of the onion and cut into minimum size pieces
3) Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot add the Asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard and urad dal one by one. once the mustard seeds splutter add the red chili, onion, curry leaf and saute it for minute
4) Add the tomatoes, egg plant,durmstick, some salt and saute it for a minute. Now add the combination of red chili powder, coriander powder OR SAMBAR POWDER and cook it for 5 minutes with closed lid
5) Add the tamarind extract and required amount of salt and mix it well. Cover the lid and Cook this mixture in a medium flame for 15 to 20 minutes.
6) Once the vegetables get tender, add the precooked Toor dal . Cook the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves
Now the authentic South Indian Sambar is ready to serve with Plain rice, Idly, Dosa or Pongal