1) Cut the onions,garlic, and tomatoes. Grind the onion and garlic coarsely. Grind the tomato nicely.
NOTE: If you can use 100 gm of Small onions instead of big onions, then this chutney will be in perfect chettinad taste
2) Heat up 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and roast the red chilies. When the chilies slightly change it’s color, remove it from the kadai. Make sure that it doesn’t get burnt. Let it cool and crushed it in the blender (coarse powder) If you don’t have time to do that then you can also use 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
3) Soak the tamarind in the water and get tamarind juice
4) Take 2 table spoon of Gingely oil/sesame oil in a kadai. When it is hot add urad dahl and mustard seeds. When mustard seed crackle add curry leaves
5) Add the crushed red chili powder, grinded onion and garlic mixture. Cook it well until the raw flame of onion and garlic goes away.
6) Add the tomato puree and cook it for 15 minutes in slow flame.
7) Add the tamarind juice and cook till the chutney gets thicker consistency
This chettinad tomato chutney will go well with Idly, Dosai, pongal, and the CHETTINAD SPECIAL VELLAI PANIYARAM. ( I will post the vellai paniyaram recipe later)